Transporting Ashes Internationally
Homeland International specialise in the transportation of ashes all over the world.
This guide answers some of the frequently asked questions related to ashes transportation to and from the UK. Often, members of our team receive questions such as “Can you take ashes on a plane?”, “Can you fly with human ashes”, “Can you send ashes abroad” and the answer to all of these questions is, yes.
More information on the ‘ins and outs’ of what is possible and what needs to be done to transport ashes overseas can be found below. If you are looking to have your loved ones ashes repatriated to or from somewhere other than the UK, then contact us for specific advice and support.
There are many reasons why you may wish to transport ashes overseas. Sometimes repatriation is not possible or the option of cremation with a plan of returning the ashes urn home afterwards is prefered.
In the UK it is not possible to transport ashes urns with Royal Mail or via a courier, unless you are transporting less than 50grams. We understand that the majority of people want to transport more than 50grams which is where we are able to help.
The main reason couriers in the UK will not support this service is because they have no way of insuring against loss or damage as the item has such sentimental value. You may see on the internet that couriers such as DHL and UPS will support this, however this is only available in countries such as the United States of America. For cases to or from the UK there are essentially two options:
- the first is for us to arrange the repatriation, and
- the other is for a family member or friend to transport in hand luggage.
Homeland International can provide an entire A to B repatriation service for cremated remains. We can arrange transport to the nearest airport, or to an address in the destination country.
Homeland International can provide assistance with ashes repatriation from anywhere in the UK. For ashes transportation, our service involves:
- Arranging the collection of the paperwork and ashes from you.
- Prepare the ashes for international travel ensuring the ashes container is airtight and scannable by x-ray. To do this we usually place the ashes container into a zinc airtight material and then further carefully wrap the package for protective reasons before transportation to the airport.
- We will require a death certificate and cremation certificate from you, and we will complete any other required paperwork or visits to the embassy if necessary.
- Once the paperwork is all approved and the ashes are ready for travel, we will book flights and transportation to the departure airport.
On arrival into the destination airport there are two possibilities:
- If preferred we can arrange for the ashes to be collected from the destination airport and transported to the final address, or
- If you are comfortable attending the airport yourself you can collect the ashes from the destination airport. Alternatively, if you have appointed a funeral director in the destination country, they can also collect the ashes on your behalf. We would provide all the necessary paperwork for you to do this if you wish.
From the UK, the average cost for the repatriation of ashes with all paperwork and transportation requirement services included is as follows:
- £1400.00 Up to the destination airport only
- £1850.00 Up to the final address in the destination country
If you would like to know more please contact us and we would be happy to help.
We can support you with the necessary preparation and paperwork when transporting ashes via your hand luggage. Most airlines will permit the carriage of cremated remains in hand luggage but it is important you have everything arranged before. The ashes will need to be prepared for transportation and you will need to ensure you have all of the correct paperwork in place.
Typically, you will need to ensure you have the following paperwork completed before transporting ashes from the UK via your hand luggage:
- Death Certificate
- Cremation Certificate
- Funeral Directors Sealing Certificate (also known as Funeral Directors Declaration)
The ashes container will need to be secure for travel but must also remain scannable by x-ray machines.
At Homeland International we will secure the ashes with a zinc cad seal system as well as packing the ashes in a suitable wrap for transport. Once the ashes are secure for travel, we will confirm the sealing certificate and sign to say the ashes are sealed and the package includes only the ashes of your loved one and nothing else. We will then arrange to have everything returned to you, or you can collect from us if you would prefer.
Some countries may require additional paperwork to be completed such as obtaining a health permit from the destination country or an embassy permit from the country’s representative office in London. Homeland International are well experienced in obtaining this paperwork and will ensure you have everything ready to take the ashes in your hand luggage.
Homeland International will provide this service from £75.00 plus transport and embassy fees. Contact us if you would like to enquire about this service, once we know where you are in the UK we can provide a quote.
Please note, we would always advise that you contact your airline in advance before travelling with cremated remains. Whilst most airlines such as British Airways and EasyJet state they will accept cremated remains there is always the possibility that someone at the airport, such as airport security, will not be so sure. It is always useful to have a printed email or letter from the airline so you can quickly show it as evidence just in case.
Homeland International provides ashes repatriation services all over the world. Thanks to our provider network, consisting of over 250 companies worldwide, we are able to support transporting cremated remains back to the UK. We will manage the collection overseas, the preparation of the urn for transport, the paperwork requirements, the airport, the shipping of the ashes to the UK and the collection from the airport and delivery to your address.
An estimate for this A to B service would be approximately £1850.00*. Please contact us for a quotation on your specific requirements.
*Final cost may differ depending on which country you are transporting from.
We hope that this helps answer some of your questions. To proceed with our services, we require you to complete our authorisation form which can be emailed, posted or completed at one of our offices in the UK. Once we have received the death certificate and passport, we can begin the repatriation procedure and will keep you updated at every stage. Contact us to begin arrangements or ask any further questions you may have